Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Planning for Planning?

I am putting together my account planning portfolio finally.....here's the first draft of my "about me".....

(About Me)


I was 19 years old the first time I boarded an airplane. The first time I exited an airplane was in Paris France. I don’t speak French. I was alone, so I did what I do best. I took advantage of my “bad luck” and unplanned layover by grabbing my backpack and making my way into the city and to the Eiffel Tower. Since then I have swam in 3 oceans, traveled through 7 countries, received mail in 3 major cities on 2 continents and have attempted to learn 4 languages.

I have a thing for new experiences.

My “ah ha!” advertising moment was not a generic “I saw this, thought that” ad moment, the “1984” commercial or discovering that advertising has the power to sell someone a dream. Instead I was inspired by my fellow intern row inhabitants during a summer internship at Chiat Day in Los Angeles. Some questionable stir fry and about 12 creative minds squished together at a lunch table posed the question “Would you eat yourself if you tasted like your favorite food?” After a week of rules and possible commercial ideas springing from this I knew I was hooked. If the people in this industry are half as creative as the interns, I’m in. Just hide the thin mint cookies.

The first step to becoming a pirate is (intern)rowing the boat.

As Florida State’s NSAC team Account Planner, I learned that after all the research and finding the something in a whole pile of nothing is done, that the most important part of the Account Planners job is the ability to inspire. You can tell a kid in a sandbox to make a castle all day long, but if they aren’t inspired to greatness all you’re going to get from them is a sandcastle that’s simply good enough.

But good enough is never enough.

I am a child of culture and technology. I would die without my Netvibes page, have withdrawals from my Tumblr account, and shake if I was torn away from reading Copyranter or watching ESPN. I love advertising because it’s like kindergarten… no holds bar creativity. I am amazing fun in a neat but not so tidy package.

My name is Nicole Brooker and I am an Account Planner in the making.

No comments:

Post a Comment